Thursday, November 26, 2020

HAIKU OS

Since my studies in the nineties, I was an admirer of BeOS, the BeBox and everything close to this sort of technology. I never could afford a multi-processor machine like the BeBox, so it was remaining a dream, until BeOS and BeBox suddenly disappeared from the scene. This was long before Linux was a thing. 

Beos, was resurrected by the company Yellowbites http://yellowbites.com/beos.html and never gained the success it might have deserved. 

Some fans (no me though) persisted and created a binary compatible clone of BeOS, called HAIKU.
I followed that project on and off, until the Beta1 release. This is when I decided to try HAIKU on hardware myself. When saying on hardware, I mean on hardware, not in a virtual machine.

In my yard of "no longer used, but too good to be scrapped" computers, I found an AMD C-Series APU board with 4GB. This boardd, with a 500GB HDD was the perfect candidate for an installation of HAIKU OS R1/Beta1.
I played with it for a while, and put it aside when other stuff came up. That was many months ago.

Today, I remembered the little box and got it running again. A presumable simple software update, which I expected to have happened over the many months, failed. Hmmmm, strange! What's going on? Oh, there is a Beta2 version available, which does not install with the SoftwareUpdater provided in the GUI. If only I had read this https://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku/r1beta2/ before ;-)

Anyway, this is what I am presently doing/waiting to finish. The manual upgrade from Beta1 to Beta2. I liked Beta1 a lot, so my expectations are high for Beta2.

When I was playing with Beta1 before, I had plans to port the f2c Fortran to C converter to HAIKU. The sources are still in my home directory. The intent is still present. I might need to check if there is a newer version of f2c before I start the project.

This post was written using the HAIKU machine with the browser WebPositive, while the machine was upgrading from Beta1 to Beta2.

UPDATE:
The machine is not running HAIKU R1/Beta2.