Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The old router to the rescue

This is an interesting one, in my mind.
Some years ago, many actually, I got a router of the brand Sweex. This brand is/was lower end gear for the Dutch market. The router did OK-ish, however, I was not so convinced, so, at some stage, a got another one. No, I wont mention the brand here, since this was the real disappointment.
Anyway, the Sweex LW310V2 did serve a few years, and ended up in storage for a few years.
Finally, lately, I remembered that there was something concerning a "bridge" in this very inexpensive router. I checked my expensive (not to be named) present device, and there was no bridge option. Bummer! Some further giveaway, the company of said more expensive device recently removed the feature of a free dynamic DNS.
So, what was keeping me using the device? Nothing!
Back to the Sweex. It turned out that, while there is a bridge mode present, this is not what I need/ The big deal on this WiFi router is that has a WAN medium option which allows for wireless LAN.
Hence, I had to set my cable modem to allow bridge mode on WiFi and the Sweex WLAN router to wireless WAN mode. Both had to be set on the same channel And there we go.
The Sweex now offers its own WiFi and Ethernet LAN bridged from my cable modem.
Yep, that's what we want.
My old Sweex LW310V2 is back in service, after a break of many years. Glad I did not through it in the garbage, which I intended before.