Saturday, May 18, 2019

Down Sizing My Computing

Most likely, I am not the only one who noticed that it is rarely a necessity to maintain high power computing equipment at home. For me, the last resort for this sort of demand would be video editing.
Most of my photo editing is done in the cloud by now, either by moving a finger across the screen of my phone of with the aid of Chromebooks.
While my Chromebooks do a great job, for some applications, I wished to have some other tools available.
So, after a longer struggle, I finally decided to "invest" in a Raspberry Pi. That decision came when I learned that there a at least 2 ways to boot the Pi from USB HDDs. Why is that important, I hear you thinking. Well, first of all I still got a bunch of spinning HDD in my scrap-box, and secondly, SD cards are certainly not the fastest medium in the world what read and write speeds are concerned, but they are the fastest storage medium in the world to wear out. Seen the RAM limitation of a Raspberry Pi, my regular use will heavily rely on swap, resulting in the foreseeable death of many SD cards in the near future.
While my Chromebooks wont be replaced any time soon, the FX-6100 and i7 4770k workstations will see a lot less work soon.
Presently there is a Pi 1 B+ and Pi 3 B+ in my possession.
My junk box further comprises a lot of old USB stuff, e.g. powered hubs, WiFi dongles, sound dongles, etc. So, there are a lot of options to build system around Raspberry Pi boards by recycling obsolete stuff. How exciting!